Wednesday, July 06, 2005

getting here


ok.. so now i got time to blog a bit.

it was 8 hours from Manila to Dubai, 7 hours Dubai to London and another 7 hours London to Bermuda. plus i had a 2 hour gap between flights in Dubai and 8 hours in London.

both airports were great, offering Duty Free goods. i didn't buy anything. just walked around. rested.

by the time I got here I was wasted. I was met at the Airport by Jet (Filipino) and Yvonne (Malaysian) who are also working for EY. we got on a cab and delivered my stuff to the apartment.

which was really lovely. Rosemont Apartment.

then we took a walk to a resto Portofino Pizza Restaurant. i ordered ravioli. the sauce was rather good.

Jet walked me back to the apartment while Yvonne left to attend the Pink Party that night. Jet hanged around a bit. we talked about SGV and how things are in Bermuda, etc. He left later to meet Yvonne.

On Sunday, I went to hear mass with Jet, Gigi and Weenie. Gigi was working as a caregiver while Weenie was a nanny. Both of them are Filipinos. Mass is at 1130-1230 noon.

Weenie went ahead while Jet, Gigi and I had lunch at Pickled Onion where I ate burger and fries. We made plans to go to the Dockyard. but I fell asleep at the Apartment so I wasn't able to go. I woke up late in the evening already.

I took Alaxan, ate a sandwich and fell asleep again. I woke up at 3am, ate some cereals, took a nap again. By the time I woke up, it was time for me to go to my FIRST DAY at WORK.

Monday was orientation day - voice mail, phone, meeting my new officemates, office security, etc. I also spent quite a bit of my time exploring the web, particularly e-moo for possible apartments I can move into.

---------------------------
Apartment thoughts

i'm not quite sure whether i want to join jet and yvonne in one big house or just find a place just for me.

---------------------------

oh and Oleander cycles (a rental bike-scooter store) didn't let me get the scooter assigned to me. i needed a bit more practice. i'm to go back on Sunday. hopefully by then i get it.

i'm getting quite desperate getting the bike. its quite a walk to the apartment i'm staying in now. and i'm not used to walking AT ALL. i drive in manila. the only time i walked was when i'm inside the mall. here, walking takes me uphill and downhill. which can really be tiring.

by the time i get home, i'm wasted and dead. can't do anything but sleep at half past 7.

also the sun here is still up at 9pm. imagine that.

---------------------------

looked at an apartment yesterday with Jet, Gigi and Yvonne. 2 bedroom but only 1 bathroom just off Harbour Road. costs $2950.

earlier today, i road with Barry to see a 1 bedroom apartment. it was quite nice actually. fully furnished. on top of the hill at Devonshire. for only $1300.

Barry wants me to look at other options. Imee wants me to get it already. I don't quite know what to do. It seems there's a bit more to consider here when renting an apartment - like water supply (water comes from the rain that is kept in a water tank). if the water tank gets empty, i have to buy water. but i think the price is cheap. i'm a bit worried about the location though. which Barry says is ok and i have nothing to worry about. i asked him about street lamps and he was saying that its ok since i'll be on my bike and my bike has lights.

it is rather hard to find a place to stay here. and i only have about 2 weeks at Rosemont. although i can extend (half of which will be shouldered by the company and half by me), Rosemont costs about $150 per day and that is way expensive.

------------------------------------------

GMA as in Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is really big news. I mean news about her and the impeachment filed against her is also featured in the local newspaper here in Bermuda.

what is happening in the Philippines??

:-(

2 comments:

Data Tolentino-Canlas said...

sis! hi! so glad there are people taking care of you over there--well, you're a tough kid. we shouldn't really be worrying about you now, should we? but just the same, take care. give yourself whatever you need to comfort you muna then gradually, you will find yourself more street smart and strong. :) hope you get a good, reliable bike. plus the walks will do you good. make sure the apartment door has good security and locks...baka sabay pa tayo maka-move into our respective apartments: you in bermuda, me in ortigas! :) take care!

Glo said...

1300 is expensive. Ako nga I keep saying na with 1250 for a two bedroom townhouse, I need to start investing for a house! Good luck. Me makikita ka pa.