Monday, July 18, 2005

eleven

i wrote this a couple of days back.

Blog 15 July 2005

This is my 11th day in the Island. And in 11 days, here are my accomplishments, discoveries, realizations.

  1. Rent for a month here for a typical 1 bedroom or studio apartment is at $1,500 to $2,300 – depending on the location (dodgy neighborhood??), furnishings (washer, dryer, fridge, a/c, stove) and amenities (usually pool, garden), size, and accessibility (to the bus stop, groceries, to the city). With Forex at USD 1 = PhP 53, its PhP 79,500 to PhP 121,900 PER MONTH.
    FYI: Bermudian (BDA) $ is at par with USD $. (exclusive of fees to the money changer, of course)
  2. No electricity means no work, no phone, no open shops, restos, etc. They don’t have generators. - we didn't have work for 2 days.
  3. A bank certification from the Philippines or your old bank will facilitate easier opening of bank accounts elsewhere. I got my ATM/ Debit card within 3 minutes after completing the application while some of the people I know got theirs after 10 days.
  4. The only thing cheap here are the perfumes and cosmetics. People usually shop at New York during weekends. I prefer to shop in the Philippines – much much cheaper!
    Example: I bought a black office bag (unknown brand) in a department store here for $32 = PhP1,696. Jeez…. I wasn’t picky bout the brand. I just needed something presentable for everyday use. I wasn’t able to bring my bags with me. Good thing I brought loads of shoes, though.
    And the cellphone I got in Pinas for about $189 or PhP 10,000 is selling here for $449!! (can I sell mine in the black market??? Hehe. Just kidding y’all.)
  5. Gaah.. would you believe, they don’t have MMS?????
  6. People here are really nice, friendly and pleasant. Walking down the street, about 95% of the people you meet with greet you a good morning, how are you doing, good day, with a nod or a smile depending on the time of the day. And you are expected to greet them back.
    My officemates have been really warm to me, supportive and helpful.
  7. A department store here is just about the size of most Bench boutiques in the Philippines. And stores open at about 10am and close at 5pm Mondays to Saturdays. Stores are closed on Sundays.
  8. I am anti social. I’d rather be alone, at the apartment, with my body aching from lying on the bed the whole day than try to be pleasant to company that though I don’t know that well, I feel I’d just end up offending in the end. (Tactless comments...)
  9. There are a lot lot lot of Filipinos here – nannies, waiters, caregivers, accountants, auditors. You’d see them everywhere.
  10. I love the Philippines – traffic, crazy drivers, rallies, etc. Words aren’t enough… I miss the malls, especially. Hehehe.
  11. I need Olie. I’ve no enthusiasm to see Bermuda as a tourist would, to see the beaches and all the wonders the place has to offer, to taste and enjoy food and not just eat out of necessity, to be pretty and not just look presentable. I tried to go out with other people, but I find that I do not really have that much fun although they are really nice, hospitable, welcoming to me. Even with company, fellow Filipinos or other expatriates, I am still alone.
    He is my life. I’m lost without him.

Things I miss aside from Olie:

Wedpreps – scheduling meetings, oculars, payments
Chatting with the w@wies
Having access to the internet anywhere
Malls – glorietta, greenbelt, greenhills
Watching movies, popcorns
Iced Tea – Lipton and Nestea
Jollibee and Wendy’s

The wedpreps seems to be a distant past now.

6 comments:

Nette said...

i hope you can adjust better in the next few weeks. ignat ka dyan!

Faye said...

hi, grace! ganyan talaga sa una, you keep on converting your money now with our peso. but you'll get used to it. the only advice i could give you is wait for a sale. that's when you splurge if you want to. maybe you can go to new york to shop too. i can go with you. just let me know. :) tc.

Marj and Carlos said...

Hi Grace. Can understand how you feel. Lahat yata ng umalis sa Pilipinas at umunta sa ibang bansa na walang ka-pamilya can relate to your woes. Stay strong, kaya mo yan. It's sad pero we really start appreciating Manila once we move out of the country. Haay! Anyways, always in my prayers kayo. Kisses!

Glo said...

*hugs*
It will get betterm, sis, I promise! The homesickness will never go away but it you'll feel better in time.

Seven years later, I still yearn for that day I am in Manila for good!

Data Tolentino-Canlas said...

hey sis, stay strong! naku, we'll all be in the same boat soon. :) take care and enjoy the sunshine a little bit. I'm sure Olie would like you to be even just a little bit happy. Nag-a-alala din yan sa yo. :D take care and we miss the chats with you. smile! *big crazy, humid, traffic-noisy, polluted, unstable-economy hug to you!*

Aggie said...

Hi Grace! Kamusta na?! We miss you already......